We’ve moved! Since creating this blog in 2017, we’ve launched Becoming Mama — artfully crafted fashions for bump to breastfeeding. Please visit our new blog for the latest and greatest. Happy mommy-ing!
After switching to the Top 8 Free diet, one of the most challenging meals for me was breakfast. I was used to slamming granola bars or a quick protein shake on my long commute. I found that many of the pre-made allergen-free bars were very tiny. I’d have to eat four or five to get enough calories, and with price tags of at least $1 each, that just wasn’t a practical daily routine.
Luckily, I stumbled upon Petite Allergy Treats and their gluten-free/vegan breakfast bar recipe. Best of all? It’s no bake – just stir in the ingredients and throw it in the fridge! No trying to watch the oven while juggling a crying baby, load of laundry, work, and whatever else you have going on!
Petite’s recipe is yummy as-is, but I experimented with variations for different flavors and nutritional impact. My favorite combo is below!
- 4 cups gluten free quick cooking rolled oats
- ¾ cup sunflower butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup honey (or ½ cup maple syrup)
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp warm water
- 1 cup quinoa (follow packaging instructions for rinsing & sprouting or your body won’t digest it properly!)
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips
(or more depending on how much chocolate you like!)
- ¼ cup raisins or dried cranberries
- 2 bags Enjoy Life seed & fruit mix
(or ¼ cup sunflower kernels and pumpkin seeds)
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well until all incorporated.
- Press mixture evenly in a pan. The size is up to you – the smaller the pan, the taller the bars will be!
- Place pan in the refrigerator to firm up.
- Cut & enjoy! Best served straight from the refrigerator.
- Optional: Melt chocolate chips in a small bowl. Drizzle chocolate over bars.
Did you try this recipe? Comment below with the adjustments you made to make this your favorite breakfast bar ever!